Committees are an excellent way to stay involved in the League and have a major say in how to update current programs, execute proposed projects, and suggest new initiatives, without taking up a lot of your time.
Committees meet once every other month (with very few exceptions) in order to discuss how the League and better function in certain areas. Beyond that, you can get as involved as you like. If you want to work on the projects your committee proposes, we will not stop you. We might throw you a party, though.
You are free to join as many committees as you like. Click the links below to be taken to the page for each committee.
- Action - Linda Wengel, Chairperson This Committee oversees action at a local level, and monitors and reviews action at the state and national level. Writes and testifies on county and state legislation local to Howard County before the relevant elected representatives. Get involved with researching and writing testimony, follow key issues in the county, or look for new ways to advocate for League causes.
- Education - Linda Frascarella, Chairperson This committee oversees action and reporting on Education at a local level, and monitors and reviews action at the state and national level. Develops resources for HCPSS students on civics. Look for gaps in knowledge of civics and design and create materials to fill the gap. Help us determine what citizens both need and want to know about their government. Coordinates with other education organizations in the county, such as the Howard County Public Library System and Office on Aging.
- Environment - Sandra Levy, Chairperson This committee oversees action on the Environment at a local level, and monitors and reviews action at the state and national level. It develops forums and other resources for members and the public on environmental issues facing the county, and coordinates with other environmental organizations in the county. Work on new ways League members can directly help and advocate for the environment and develop or promote education opportunities for citizens. G
- Go to the Environmental Committee News
- Voter Services - Cheryle Wharton, Chairperson This committee organizes candidate forums, voter's guides, and other projects related to informing voters during election years. Help us make stronger forums, videos, and new materials; register voters; educate citizens on the candidates and the election process; and reach more county residents with key information about voting.
Program Study - Krista Threefoot, Vice President and Chairperson
This committee provides expertise to President, Board, and Study Chairs on National, State, NCA, and local program. They Coordinate and organize Unit Meetings for members on program positions with help from appropriate chairpersons. Provides expertise to President, Board, and Study Chairs on National, State, NCA, and local program. Lead or participate in a local study of county practices, or help supplement materials from the State and National programs by recommending articles, books, or videos on study topics.
Community Engagement - vacant
Work on ways to encourage participation at the community level, running for Village Board, joining non-profit boards, participating in community groups throughout the county so that citizens are more connected at a local level.
Membership - Lucie Geinzer, Chairperson
This committee oversees membership recruitment and retention efforts and maintains databases of active and inactive members. Holds orientations for new members, and participates in the development of social and educational events for members. Discusses opportunities and approaches for recruitment, how to retain our current members, and how to introduce and engage new members.
Fundraising - Michelle Trotter, Chairperson
This committee oversees traditional fundraising events and informs the Board of opportunities of providing our League with the money to function. Board Members and members in general remain responsible to fundraise. Help develop new drives or events to support League activities, or work on organizing the Capitol Steps event for the fall of 2014.
Communications - Newsletter vacant, Online/External - Laura Mettle
This committee is responsible for the monthly preparation of the League’s newsletter, mailings to members, and publicizing League activities. Help the League better connect with its current membership and reach the community as whole by looking for opportunities to expand or improve our communications network.
- Publications - Vacant Responsible for the publication of The Elected, the Annual Meeting Workbook, and the Workbook/Directory for members.
- Meets once every year in February to analyze the previous year’s budget, review the expectations for the coming year, and propose a balanced budget for the membership to vote on at the Annual Meeting in April.